International Walk to School Month
October is International Walk to School Month. Each year, primary school pupils from across the UK join forces with children in more than 40 countries worldwide to celebrate the benefits of walking to school.
Whether you’re a school, a parent or a child, this page tells you everything you need to know to take part and get walking.
This International Walk to School Month we will also be highlighting the need for safe routes with smarter crossings to encourage more children to walk to school. Research has shown that 1 in 5 children are scared to walk to school because of a lack of safe crossing points. Through our campaign, we will engage a wide range of audiences and calling for safer routes that encourage children to walk.
There are plenty of ways that you can get involved:
- Know your crossings - download our factsheet about different crossing types
- Download free materials - teachers can download our fun learning resource for the month to teach their class about pedestrian crossings
- Write to your MP - teachers can download our simple guide and template letter
- Run a school assembly - using our template presentation and speaker's notes
- Contact your councillor - take part in our campaign action to Save Our Lollipop People
- Find out more about the importance of safe crossings in our Smarter Crossings hub