Street parties

image description

Six easy steps to planning a street party

Hosting a summer street party is a great way to bring your neighbours together, and celebrate your streets. Now the government has cut the red-tape around streets parties, they're easy to organise too. Follow our quick guide to planning your neighbourhood street party.

1. Get everyone on board

Start by asking a few neighbours whether they are keen to get involved, and select a convenient date for everyone. Give yourselves a few months to plan your party.

2. Get planning and spread the word

Invite the whole street to the first planning meeting, and make it a social occasion. Inviting people face-to-face is a must to get people involved. Also send a paper invitation, as it may be required to show your council you have consulted everyone. Around three meetings might be needed to plan a party from start to finish. Keep them informal and share out planning tasks.

3. Apply to the council

Let the council know your plans. You can use this new form from the government, or go to your council’s website for an alternative.


4. Close the road

By inviting everyone, you are consulting them about road closures, so the next step should be straightforward. To close them, you'll need permission four to 12 weeks in advance from your council's traffic or highways department. You may also have to consult the emergency services – check this with your council. If they want to charge for a road closure, or have complex procedures, visit the Streets Alive website for guidance. A few days before the party, remind people to move their cars by an agreed time. If you cannot close the road properly, you can still host a street-mixer, using whatever space is available.



5. Insurance and safety

Agree in advance that everyone should take responsibility for themselves, and watch out for others, especially children. You could include this on the paper invitation. Your council may require you to sign some sort of indemnity as part of the road closure, to protect them against liability. It is unlikely you will need insurance, unless it is a particularly large street party. If you do, you can find advice by following the link below. Street party insurance guidance.

6. Licences

Normally, you don't need to apply to your council for a Temporary Event Notice Licence. If you are publicising a programme of bands, or selling tickets and alcohol, you need to apply for a licence at least two weeks in advance. This costs around £21. To avoid any problems or complaints, agree to finish the party by a time other neighbours won’t be kept awake. Now you can relax and enjoy your street party!