Living Streets' Winter Contract
Local councils have a legal duty under the Highways Act 1980 or the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984 to keep highways – including pavements – safe in icy conditions.
Living Streets is asking councils to give key walking routes the same priority as roads when preparing for bad weather this year.
We need councillors to show they are serious about safety this winter.
Living Streets’ winter contract calls on local authorities to:
- Address the impact of severe weather on all road users, including pedestrians, in winter maintenance plans and schedules
- Routinely grit walking journeys to essential services, particularly considering the most vulnerable such as children and older people
- Re-deploy Council staff / contractors to help clear pavements where they are unable to carry out their work because of the weather (for example, street cleaners being moved onto gritting duties).
- Organise a Snow Angel scheme ready to help keep local pavements snow and ice free.
- Provide grit bins in communities and keep them stocked so neighbours can support each other